How do I enrol in Pre-Approved Classes?April 14, 2016
To enrol in your Pre-Approved Classes:
- Log in to your online account.
- Click on “Enroll in my Pre-Approved Classes.
- Review the list of classes for each student.
- Select the check-box under Enroll for each class you wish to enroll in.
- Select the “Enroll” button.
- Complete the checkout (see the instructions in How to Enrol in a Class)
When reviewing class options, please note the following:
1. Pre-School Dance, Pre-Primary, and Primary Ballet pre-approved classes list all available classes. Students are only expected to take one class per week; two is optional.
2. Grades 1, 2, 3 and 4 Ballet list four possible classes each: Two classes are required each week. Students must select an ‘a’ and a ‘b’ class to ensure balanced training each week, and participation in the school show.
3. Grade 5-6, Youth Ballet, IF-Adv Ballet: All classes at these levels are recommended each week.
4. Modern-Jazz: Ballet is required for Modern-Jazz due to the complexity and technical vocabulary of the training. With only one class each week, there is not time to also teach the core ballet steps that form the base of modern-jazz technique.
5. Pointe Prep: This is the pointe preparation class to determine if students may later go on pointe, as well as to determine whether students will be following the Vocational stream (Inter Fnd to Adv 2) or the Youth stream (Int-Adv Youth) after Grade 5-6 Ballet. Students do not wear pointe shoes at this level, and should never purchase pointe shoes until instructed to do so by the school.
6. IF Pointe: This is the beginner pointe class for students approved for pointe work in Intermediate Foundation Ballet. DO NOT PURCHASE POINTE SHOES. Students will be taken to a specialized pointe shoe store with their teacher in September to purchase the correct shoes.
7. Pointe Classes: Students must always take the ballet class prior to a pointe class in order to be properly warmed up. This is essential for injury prevention. Fixed-formed pointe shoes such as Gaynor Minden’s are not allowed at the Academy, due to the opposing foot movement of this type of shoe that weakens rather than strengthens the foot.
8. Pre-Professional Academy: Students must take all Academy classes for their level, plus all ballet, pointe, contemporary and modern classes in the afternoon/evening. All classes are included in the PPA tuition.
9. Jr Musicals vs Jr Musical Theatre: Jr Musical Theatre is a single one-hour class combining singing, acting and dancing on Tuesdays. Jr Musicals is the full Musicals program which includes classes of Acting, Chorus and Showtime!. These students must be able to commit to the 3.75 hrs of classes on Fridays. All students perform in our annual Musical, but the Jr Musical Theatre class has a smaller role, normally performing in just one or two scenes.